Sunday, August 18, 2013

Barbecued Okra

Okra for me was a "new" vegetable. I don't recall ever seeing my Mom make okra nor did I see it on any other tables growing up.  For this reason, it is NOT in my repertoire .....

Enter Willey Farms and a fresh bag of okra. Their newsletter, "What's Growin' On", saved me today by providing this fun recipe (modified to suit my personal tastes):

1/2 t sea salt
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/2 t powdered garlic
1/2 t agave nectar 
1/2 t "Slap Yo Mama" seasoning
1 Tbsp Bari Olive oil (I actually used about 2.... But who's counting)
1/2 lb fresh okra

Preheat your grill.  Wash the okra and blot dry. Remove the stems  but do not cut in to the pods.  Place in  a big bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and agave nectar. Toss to coat.  In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Toss the dry ingredients and mix to coat the okra.  Place in a grill basket and cook till lightly brown.  Takes about 2 to 4 minutes. Can be put directly in the grill individually or laced together with a skewer.

Yummy!! 

1 comment:

  1. Having parents from Arkansas, I fry the okra I get in CSA box. Same with eggplant.

    ReplyDelete