Tuesday, September 10, 2013

You asked......Smokvica (fig liquor)


Yeah....I know that I said I was going to make the crostada and then I realized I was getting low on my "hooch" so I shelved the "full fig" crostada for a little detour.  With this I bring you (wait for it......drum roll......) SMOKVICA (or "Smokva" - Croatian for fig liquor).  On my first trip with hubby I paid over 120 kuna for a tiny little bottle and then I thought "well, the label is cute but ...dang.....I could do this!"  It is really easy and, if you like figs, this is a wonderful treat.


2 1/2 cups chopped figs
2 cups brandy (some of the recipes in Fresno call for vodka which, to me, is a little lighter)
2 coffee beans
1 vanilla bean

Chop the figs and place the rest of the ingredients in the bottle and let sit in a dark place, undisturbed, for at least 2 to 3 weeks. I like to shake it up about once a week just to get the fruit fully infused. After the time has passed, strain the ingredients and add simple syrup to taste.  Note:  I happen to like my simple syrup made with a little honey for this recipe.  It gives it a warm, unique flavor.

PS:  These photos are temps since mine is (like me at work) in the dark, out of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment