Monday, May 26, 2014

"Magic Cake" (a fast version of kremsnita)

Marcie (who I worked with) noticed I haven't been blogging recently. Perhaps it was because I was deathly afraid I would add an APA citation and a few footnotes since 99% of what I have been writing lately has been related to my dissertation .... So for Marcie and for all of you who think I may have dropped off the planet, I am blogging my latest find: magic cake (which tastes similar to kremsnita.... A very tasty cake from Northern Croatia)

4 eggs separated at room temp 
3/4 c sugar
1 stick of butter melted (1/2 c)
1 tsp good vanilla
3/4 c all purpose flour
2 c lukewarm milk
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325. Beat egg whites until stiff and set aside.  In a separate bowl, beat yolks with sugar. Add melted butter and flour. Beat until mixed.
Slowly add milk and continue to mix.  Add in vanilla .... Be sure to use really good vanilla (thank you Anita for that wonderful bottle of vanilla).
Fold in half of the whites, a third at a time.  Fold in the batter, a third at a time and mix gently.  Pour in to greased 8x8 pan. Bake for 40 minutes and until golden brown on top.
Cool and dust with powders sugar. Delish with sliced fruit on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment