Since I have a "day job", weekends are reserved for the more adventurous recipes. With that being said, make note that this is not your typical week day morning fare.
Bubble and Squeak
- 1 pound large red potatoes*, cut in to 2 inch chunks (the original recipe had them peeled, I like the skin)
- 4 medium turnips*, peeled and quartered
- 1 large bunch of kale* (or a small green cabbage, but our valley kale is MUCH better!)
- 2 large leeks*, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. celery seeds
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil, plus more for frying and a little nonstick spray
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 pound chanterelle (if you are lucky enough to find them AND have a fat bank account) or cremini mushrooms (you can also just use regular brown mushrooms), sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
In a non stick skillet, brown mushrooms mushrooms with the butter and mix in to the mixture. Mix in all together and then form patties (about 16 patties). Flour them and fry in the skillet with 1/4 inch of oil over medium heat. Turn once and cook till browned and crispy. Transfer to plate.
Wipe out the skillet. Give it a shot of nonstick spray and fry your eggs to your liking. Layer patties on your plate. Top with Canadian bacon and a fried egg. Garnish with green onions.
I served this with a broiled grapefruit half and the remainder of the Irish soda break from last night!
*Note, each of these wonderful veggies were found at the Farmer's Market on Wednesdays at Kaiser (Smith Family Organic for most but they ran out of kale so I picked this up from their neighboring vendor!)