Thursday, March 8, 2012

Week 11 - Celebrate National Nutrition Month (+ Bulldog Bites recipe)

March is National Nutrition Month (it is also National Frozen Food Month, National Flour Month, National Sauce Month and National Noodle Month......talk about competition!)  In celebration of National Nutrition Month I am blogging today to encourage visitors to my blog as well as my followers to go out and eat something fresh and local......then start tracking what you eat.  Weight Watchers has been very successful using this as one of the tools for weight loss (and to find weak spots in your diet).  It is also helpful in tracking WHEN you eat (my personal demon is the squishy chair opposite the flat screen in my loft......I think it comes packaged with "treats".  Bad Dana!)

Celebrate good nutrition!!  Visit a farmers market this month!  I have an ap on my iPhone that lists all the farmers markets in my area (and the days of operation).  My personal favorites are the Kaiser market on Wednesdays (mostly because I can grab Dusty Buns for lunch (right) and say hi to Mike and Sandi (get to know your grower, folks), the Vineyard on Saturdays and that little downtown spot behind KJWL on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

 In addition, the College of Health and Human Services and the Central California Obesity Prevention Program published a Buy Fresh Buy Local guide last year that now is a bible of sorts in my office.  You can also find the information on-line at http://caff.org/programs/local-food-systems/search-bfbl/

If you are reading this on the post date (March 8, 2012), get your "buns" down to the convention center for the Fresno Food Expo!!  Today only....you can see AND TASTE some of our valley's local goodies.  Visit the website at http://www.fresnofoodexpo.com/ for more details.

Since I am preparing for my Rotary Club's campus visit to the Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market (where the guests will be treated to a farm fresh lunch and a tour), I am going to be baking my little heart healthy Bulldog Bites.  For you adventurous souls (and those of you who did not give up sweets for lent):





Heart Healthy Bulldog Bites

  • 3/4 c. mashed white beans
  • 3 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/3 c. stevia or white sugar
  • 1/4 c. egg substitute (I used liquid egg whites)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp sea salt (crushed fine)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 c. Fresno State raisins


Preheat oven to 350.  Mash white beans with oil.  Beat sugars, egg and vanilla till smooth and creamy.  Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl then mix dry with the sugar mixture.  Add in beans, then raisins and mix well.  Drop on to greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.  Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.  Makes approx. 36 cookies.

Perhaps after a visit to your local farmers' market, a peek at my blog or a trip to the Fresno Food Expo, you'll come up with a health alternative to National "Something on a stick" Day (March 28th)!

No comments:

Post a Comment