Thursday, December 20, 2012

Cheesy Pierogi Casserole (Week 51)

With all the effort last night on the sauerkraut and mushroom pierogi (and little attention/views), I went ahead and made a casserole out of my favorite (actually anything with cheese and potatoes would be my favorite - duh).  This is not 100% my inspiration since my Mom said she saw something similar on The Chew.

Cheesy Pierogi Casserole
10 potatoes, peeled and boiled.
2 large onions diced
1/2 lb bacon cooked to semi crispy and chopped
2 tbsp Bari EVO (olive oil)
4 tbsp butter
1 cup ricotta cheese
8 oz brick of cream cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 tbsp powdered garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
package of no bake lasagna noodles
(optional - 1 cup bigos - the sauerkraut mixture)

Mash the potatoes with the ricotta and cream cheese.   Add butter and stir in mozzarella cheese. Set a side.  Saute onions EVO, toss in the bacon and stir until the onions are golden brown.  Make bechamel sauce with the flour and the milk.  Coat the baking dish with Pam.  Place a splash of sauce on the bottom and cover with noodles.  Spoon potato mixture on top.  Sprinkle onion mixture then top with a splash of sauce. Place another layer of noodles and repeat.  In the middle, I added a layer of sauerkraut....just because.

Finish with a final layer of onion mixture   Pour on remaining sauce and top with a sprinkle of cheese.  Bake covered at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes or until pipping hot all the way through.

PS:  Slowing down on my posts as I am not walking towards week 52.  Yes FIFTY TWO weeks of food, fabulous food.  This has been fun and quite an adventure.  I "may" continue this blog in 2013 so help me spread the word, ask friends to follow the blog so I can get some interaction.  This will keep it lively while I am trying to think of something OTHER than doctoral studies!!

Week 52 will be the "sites and sounds" of our holiday (Christmas - Bozic) cooking.  Warm blessings to all of you out there in cyber land for a happy and healthy 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment