Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pierogi stuffed with sauerkraut and mushrooms (Week 51)

I feel inspired....ll actually, I'm not really inspired just have my very first Tuesday in months where I am not sitting upstairs in a mountain of books. Tonight it's pierogi dough.

Last week was bigos, a hunter's stew from Poland with sauerkraut and mushrooms, that happens to be my husbands favorite filing for pierogi. It is also his Mom's speciality.

Go back to last week and make bigos. Then pour yourself a bit of vodka and get started.

Pierogi

1 1/4 lb all porpoise flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs beaten
3 tbsp oil
1 cup of water

Four flour in bowl. Make a mound and pour the eggs, water and oil in the center. Add salt and mix to a pasty dough. Turn dough on to floured board and need. Should be a tender dough.

Roll out to about the thickness of a lasagna noodle and cut in to round circles. Place 2 tbsp of bigos mixture in the center of the circle, fold in half and pinch shut. Repeat until dough and bigos are gone. You can also use won ton wrappers, brush with egg mixture and seal.....but this is cheating (but its MUCH quicker).

I place the pierogi on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and freeze till I am ready. Cook in boiling salted water.

After boiling, drain them and then warm up in bacon grease with little frees bacon bits and onion. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment