Friday, January 25, 2013

My version of Boudreaux's Zydeco Stomp Gumbo

It's that time of year again when my heart cries out for GUMBO.  This past Monday night, I had the boys over for dinner and went "all southern on 'em".  We're talking red beans and rice, greens, gumbo and even beignets.  I found a new recipe that I liked and then tweeted it for my personal tastes.

Boudreaux's Zydeco Stomp Gumbo


  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 pound pork sausage
  • 1 c. diced celery
  • 1 c. diced onions
  • 1 (10 oz) can of diced Rotell tomatoes with green chili
  • 2 tbsp chopped chili peppers
  • 1 bunch of parsley chopped
  • 3 quarts of pheasant broth (I know...I know....Hubby wanted it!)
  • 1 12 oz bottle of beer
  • 1 tsp file seasoning
  • 1/4 c. "Slap Yo Mamma" Cajun seasoning
  • 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined


Roux

  • 3/4 c. bacon drippings (or you can be healthy and add butter or olive oil)
  • 1 c. flour

The "how to":

  • Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken till no longer pink.  Stir in Sausage and cook till evenly brown.  Drain and set aside.
  • In heavy pan, heat bacon drippings (or other fat) and blend in flour to create roux.  Stir constantly until  browned and bubbly.
  • Gradually stir in beer and broth.  Bring to a boil and mix in everything BUT the meats.  Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring often.
  • Mix in chicken, sausage and shrimp.  Cook, stirring frequently for about 20 minutes!!


I like to boil up some white rice and put a nice mound in the bowl and top it with some serious hot sauce.  Whoa baby....nothing better

No comments:

Post a Comment