Thursday, January 3, 2013

The ONE (Week 1 of another 52)

With the new semester approaching and 52 weeks of a blog behind me, I am going to taper off a tiny bit with my posts but I plan to post "special" recipes and other goodies through out the year.  I am seriously hoping that a few of my foodie friends will throw a recipe or two my way (thanks to those of you this year who chimed in, Stephanie, Katrina, Leesa, Robyn, Roger and Mike).  I'd also like to add a few more followers to the mix since I "may" publish another dreaded cookbook in light of the upcoming family reunion   This is all subject to my homework, sanity and the pile of literature reviews needed for the 6 units of hell this spring.

On to Week One.  Last year, it was eating fresh and local.  This was really easy and I encourage all of you to do this.  Wojtek (my darling hubster) now wants to raise chickens and grow a garden (BUT he want these all at my parents house 20 minutes from our door.....perhaps the smell of chicken poo?)  I will be reflecting this weekend on my 2013 resolutions......more on this to come.  I have for the moment, decided to scratch sweets and sweet alcohol from my diet...at least till March 21st (my wedding anniversary).  Turns out both make me hyper.....and hyper is NOT pretty on me (I am type A any way!!)

On the subject of booze (thanks Stephanie for the new hooch jar.....my lemons are nearly ready for lemoncello)

......I bring you the New Years Eve Lucky Hang Over Soup

1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 cups diced ham (from the holiday dinner) -- pork is suppose to be lucky on NY Day
2 left over baked potatoes, skinned and diced in small bits
3/4 cup chopped cooked French green beans (from NYE dinner)
1/2 cup fresh bacon crumbles from NYE dinner -- more pork
1 can 16 oz Rotels tomato sauce (with peppers)
1 small can of plain tomato soup
4 mashed cloves of garlic -- Polish Penicillin
1 Tbsp. "Slap yo Mama" spicy Cajun seasoning
1 Tbsp. Vegetta seasoning -- hey.....I'm Croatian so this is a must.
1 bag of regular lentils -- the Cro Cure-All
3 cans of chicken broth
1 glass of leftover NYE red wine (oh what ever......I was cleaning up.....)
1 crock-pot
Pam

Spray Pam on the inside of the crock-pot to prevent possible sticking   Dump everything above in the pot and stir it up to mix.  Throw a splash of water (or more if it looks like paste).  Throw the lid on, flip it to low.  Turn on the dishwasher.  Shut off the lights and go to bed.

Soup is ready for lunch......about when you will be getting up.  There should be left over French bread around somewhere in the house that can be toasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment