Monday, February 27, 2012

Purple Cauliflower (Week 10) + Kat's "extra"

Week 10 was kicked off a bit early with a brunch item Purple Cauliflower Casserole. I am also adding in an extra from one of my favorite home cooks, Katrina (see below).  She knows my love for Mexican food all too well and this look far too good not to blog.  This is "what's for dinner" in the Lucka house tomorrow night!  Bring on the tortillas.....


First up: the Purple Cauliflower Casserole!!


I have to laugh, when things come out of the over in in my house there is little time to get a camera.  I have had several of my readers ask for photos but .....They usually have a HUGE bite out of it so they aren't ready for their close up LOL  This time, I managed to get in a photograph AFTER it was served (I guess I have to be thankful that this made more than one serving).
Sadly the beautiful purple color doesn't come out in the photo.....sort of look like a burn spot.


Easy Purple Breakfast Casserole



  • 1 head of purple cauliflower, washed and cut in to flowers
  • 2 cups of cubed stale sour dough french bead
  • 10 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 c. non fat milk
  • 3 c. shredded low fat Jack and Cheddar cheese combo
  • 1/2 c. feta cheese
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes (I actually used more)
  • Pam spray
  • Parmesan cheese



Preheat oven to 350.  Spray 9x13 generously with Pam (or a nonstick spray).  Place cauliflower in pan then add bread cubes.  Toss them a bit with the seasonings and the cheese.  Mix well.  Beat together the eggs and the milk.  Pour over the veggies and bread.  Let stand for at least 20 minutes so the eggs absorb.  Place in preheated oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until eggs puff up and bread turns golden.  Sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese and a few more red pepper flakes.


NEXT.......My buddy Katrina is a fabulous cook and this is my inspiration for dinner tomorrow night (BTW, crockpot ideas are always welcome in my house since at least 2 nights a week, my hubby teaches a night class and its...."run, run, run"!!)  Here is her thoughts as a "cut and paste".


"Some of the Pork Carnitas I've EVER HAD...even in AZ, Mexico, CA or AK. 
 
1) I took a pork picnic roast about 3.5lbs   I seasoned the outside of it with garlic salt, black pepper, ground cumin, chili powder, and oregano seared it to a dark golden brown all over in a hot skillet with a little olive oil in the bottom.  
 
2) I put it in the crockpot on high for 2-3 hours with about 5 whole cloves of garlic, 2 whole fresh serrano chilis, one large diced onion, and 1 c. stock (I used 1 tsp beef base w/ 1 c. water).  After 2-3 hours, turned it on low for 3 hours. (I'm sure you can cook it on low for 8-9 hours, but duffie me, forgot to plug in the crock pot!)
 
3) After it cooked, I pulled it out and carefully, put it on a sheet pan under the broiler (on high)  crisp up the the top layer of fat, and to render more of the fat from  from the meat.  When you think it is about done (outside is bubbling/crispy) just turn off the broiler and let it sit in the oven to dry out a little bit.
 
You end up with this super tender juicy pork (you can't slice it, we tried after letting it rest for a LONG time) with this crispy flavorful crust!  I'm sure it would make some awesome tacos, however we are on a slow carb kick.  We served it with a 3 bean salad, and a SW cabbage slaw (Cabbage, celery, carrots, red pepper, cilantro, green onion with a lime/chili vinaigrette.)" 

No comments:

Post a Comment