Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pumpkin Soup (Le Potiron Tout Rond) - One down and one to go (Week 48)

As always the case in my cooking "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".....

I started out with the idea to surprise my hubby with a 100% from scratch pumpkin soup (using the wonderful recipe from Julia Child that I found in my "box set" of cookbooks from my son - Dom... I love you!!).  I made this killer turkey broth and really needed to get ride of my Thanksgiving decorations.  Oh well......

Problem is, I decided to use the bread crumbs in the unmarked bag (instead of the store bought canister).  I was really trying to do the "from scratch" thing properly.  That ziplock bag contained graham cracker crumbs!

Guess what.....it still tasted great!

1 1/2 breadcrumbs (and if you want to be "funky" use the graham crackers!)
one large 4 lb or so pumpkin
1 T. butter
one onion finely minced
6 T butter
1`/2 tsp. salt
Pinch of pepper
1 tsp. Dalmatian sage (dried and ground)
1/2 coarsely grated Swiss cheese
1/2 c. heavy cream (the original called for solid cream and no broth so take your pick)
2 c. broth (I used the broth from my smoked turkey)
1 bay leaf

Cut the pumpkin like you are going to do a Jack-O-Lantern (cut the top off and remove the seeds and the stringy stuff.  Rub the inside with 1 T. of butter and sprinkle lightly with salt.

In a saute pan, put the remainder of the butter (6 T.), the onions and brown.  Add the crumbs and the seasonings and cook to a paste.  Add the liquids and stir to blend.  Pour the contents of the saute pan in to the carved out pumpkin.  Add cheese and stir to blend.  Liquid should come up to about a 1/2 inch from the edge of the pumpkin.  Lay the bay leaf on top and cover with the pumpkin lid.

Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for about 1 and a 1/2 hours (until the pumpkin is beginning to soften on the outside and the contents begin to bubble.  If browning too much cover with foil.

To serve, dip a long handle spoon inside and scrape the inside to add to the soup.
I also like a dash of Tabasco now and then but this time with the graham crackers it was PERFECT!

No comments:

Post a Comment