Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I love my apron + Leek and Walnut Fritters (Week 17)

Everyone needs a new apron from time to time.  It brightens those kitchen moments and gives a little spring in your step.  A shout out and a big thank you to my buddy (and CHHS partner in crime),Donna, for the BEAUTIFUL hand made apron for Professional Assistants' Day.  I fully realize that I didn't qualify for the gift but she was kind enough to humor me when dropping one off for my trust assistant.  LOVE, LOVE , LOVE it!  Thanks!!
Now on to food again.....Thank you Smith Family Organics for the tasty, tender leeks.  Very good ....made better because they were tender and less woody which proved essential for this recipe, Leek and Walnut Fritters.  Again, this met with that tilted head and odd stare (from my hubby)....."OK, Pastus, what exactly is THAT?"  The leeks, when cooked in salted water were tender and blended well with the walnuts.  It was really good......problem is there are two of us most nights for dinner so this whole "adventure" may cost my waist line!!  YIKES.  
Leek and Walnut Fritters
  • 4 Leeks (white and pale green only)  chopped
  • 1 c. panko bread crumbs
  • 2 large eggs beaten
  • 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice, plus wedge to garnish (sorry .....didn't put in the picture)
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • Oil for frying

Cook leeks in boiling salted water till tender.  drain, wrap in a towel and squeeze out the water.  Run through a food processor till a paste (I like to not fully process so you have a bit of texture....but that's me).  add crumbs, eggs, lemon juice and remainder of the ingredients. Mix well.  Add more panko if needed.  Mixture is very moist.

Shape in to 3 tablespoon in to either a ball or a patty (depending on your pan - I used a "fry baby" so I made balls).  Place on plastic lined baking sheet and repeat until mixture is gone.  Do ahead.  Can make up to 1 day in advance.  Cover and refrigerate until frying.

Preheat oven to 300.  Line another baking pan with paper towels.  Heat your oil in the pan of choice (or fryer).  Fry till dark golden brown.  When done place on the paper towels and place in the oven till the batch is done.  Wonderful with a Semillion blend!  

Get out there and COOK local .....and follow FresnosFabulous52 ("Join this site" to the side) 

No comments:

Post a Comment