Friday, April 20, 2012

Fried Pool Ball Squash (Week 16)

These little gems were too hard to pass up! I was about to leave the Kaiser's Farmers Market on Wednesday (plus I was chatting with my friend Rosemary ....I was distracted) when I stumbled upon these cuties.  Pool Ball Squash or 8 Ball Squash is a hybrid zucchini variety  with speckled flesh and a mild taste.  I had to laugh....they made me want to take up juggling!

Pan Fried Pool Balls

  • 4 or 5 firm Pool Ball squash, cut in to half in pieces
  • Extra virgin olive oil (I used my Fresno State Arbosana for this one)
  • 3 garlic cloves crushed
  • 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • sea salt and black pepper
  • 3 good quality anchovy fillets
  • zest and juice of half a lemon


Swirl olive oil in a frying pan.  Heat and add chili flakes and garlic.  After about 30 seconds, toss in the squash and the herbs.Shake pan (make sure its not too hot) then cover  so the squash can steam a bit.  Cook for about 10 minutes shaking ever so often.  In the last 2 minutes add the anchovy, the lemon zest and the lemon juice.  Once anchovies have melted, season to taste and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment