Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Balsamic Strawberry Mojito and Easy Daikon Radish and Carrot Salad (Week 18)

On the theme of "when life gives you lemons..."  I am happy to report I found a new, kicky drink that is perfect for the season.  TA DA.... The Balsamic Strawberry Mojito.  This is a a sweet and savory drink prepared by muddling in an empty mixing glass a small handful of fresh mint leaves, strawberries, brown sugar and lime wedges, after which you stirs in a jigger of Rum, adds ice, a healthy dose of sparkling water and a 1/2 tsp drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar. Mint (organic and very fresh was from KMK Farms and the strawberries were from Kao Farms!  Thanks guys - Delightfully aromatic.


Next on my list was this weird radish: The Daikon Radish.  I was on my way out to Kerman and stropped by Kao Farms (on Shaw just west of Grantland) and picked up the strawberries for my drink.  I also picked up the snap peas that I love (stay tunedmore on them in a later post) and I stood there musing over the ugly looking white carrot-like thing.  The young man behind the counter told me to try them (only a dollar for a bag of three) and he told me to eat them raw in a salad.  OK....I am game.  I trotted off to my car with my loot and drove to my Parents to join them for a Chinese dinner out.


As I walked in the door, I showed the radish to my Dad


 "What the H*** is that?""It's a Daikon radish.  Want some?"
"I'm hungry but not THAT hungry.  For God's sake, go get your mother....she's taking forever to get ready and I am starved."


I walked down the hall, with Dad in tow (he was hoping that my prodding would get her moving).  
She sees me and asks, "Ooooo....what's that?""It's a Daikon  radish.  Want a bite?"
"Sure" and she takes a big bite "tastes like a radish!  No big surprise.  You try it."
I bite off a big chunk "BLEH.... Oh instant heart burn.  Not a good idea....I think it needs salad dressing or something"
Sitting on the bed, very annoyed with the delay"Ah-hem.....Ladies, while you are having appetizers I am STILL waiting for dinner!"

....I digress......

So it was abundantly clear that this radish needed a "friend" or two in the dish.  Here is my easy Daikon radish salad.

Easy Daikon Radish and Carrot Salad
1 large Daikon radish
1 cup chopped carrots
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp ground ginger
salt, pepper and a dash of garlic powder

Gate the radish and squeeze out the water in a paper towel.  Mix the radish with the chopped carrots.  Add remaining  ingredients and mix well.  Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to allow flavors to set.  Really turned out tasty and was a great match to my grilled salmon.  I also thought that I could kick it up a bit by adding chopped nuts and raisins so you may want to give that a try.

Over all....no heartburn....but I don't recommend standing in the master bathroom chomping on it raw!

No comments:

Post a Comment