Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cheese Stuffed Squash Blossoms (Week 43)

Let's start off with "happy talk" - I was at the Vineyard Farmer's Market (now my usual Wednesday stop because I have absolutely NO time during the day nor time on a Saturday thanks to the mountains of work heaped upon me by my professors....wah, wah....I know) and saw these beautiful  full squash blossoms BEGGING for a little love!

Squash blossoms always remind me of my maternal grandmother (my Baba).  She was a bundle of energy, wit and sarcasm rolled into a pint size 4'11' frame.  She read the Wall Street Journal, instigated political arguments between my aunts, drove like a complete bat outta hell (barely seeing over the dash board), and treasured her plastic Jesus (on the dashboard through 2 or 3 accidents, missing an arm and such).  She passed away at age 93 (I think.... because I never dared ask) shortly after leading me in to her closet and telling me I had to keep an eye on "the girls" so that she wore the dress SHE wanted when she was buried....."and don't forget the slip!  I bought that special for this dress!"


She taught me about fresh and local food.  She loved to cook and taught me that veggies were actually good when you covered them with liberal amounts of olive oil and garlic.  She had a garden that made the farmers markets look bare and could turn nearly anything in to a colorful, multicourse meal heaped high with love and laughter.  I miss her.  I miss coffee with her.  Oh lord.....I miss her cooking!!!

Mom's cooking is pretty close (Mom is a stretched out version of my Baba - complete with the stubborn, refuse to get old, drive like a wild woman streak).

.....ah but those fried squash blossoms......

Cheese Stuffed Squash Blossoms
6 to 8 large squash blossoms (must be FRESH), male blossoms with the ends on

3 oz goat cheese
4 oz cream cheese
4 oz butter
2 good shakes of Tabasco
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

1 egg, beaten
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt of any sort
1/2 cup chilled water

Flour
Oil for frying

Wash, drain and pat dry blossoms.  Mix well the cheeses and the butter along with the Tabasco  cilantro and seasonings.  Mix the next four ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.

Gently open the blossom.  Stuff with a little over a tablespoon the cheese mixture and twist closed.  Refrigerate till ready to fry.  Repeat till blossoms are filled.

Heat oil.  Dip blossoms in batter, dredge in flour and fry till golden   I kept the stems on since it was easier to drain and remove.  I cut the stems before searing.  Yummmmmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment