Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Winter Melon Meatball Soup (Week 2 bonus)

OK. I admit, I was going to hold this one in case I lost my creativity next week but I couldn't let the melon sit there lonely in the fridge (frankly, it looked too much like a fruit and I was afraid that my Hubster would find a way to consume it for breakfast)!

This soup is actually a "keeper" and was a BIG surprise to the both of it.  It was unique and tasty.  It reminded me of a Thai soup and I modified it a bit to give it a "kick" ...very glad I did since it gave it a sweet-hot finish.  The winter melon is a gray looking small melon the size of a small honey dew.  The exterior is not very appealing, sort of rough and weathered but it turned out to make a nice entree soup!!

Winter Melon Meatball Soup

1 lb ground pork (I used ground turkey. worked fine).
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp sugar (I used Truvia)
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 eggs

6 cups liquid (3 cups water and 3 cups fat free chicken broth)
1 jalapeno finely chopped
2 lbs winter melon cut in to one inch cubes
3 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp white sugar

1.  Sprinkle ground meat with cornstarch, cilantro, soy sauce, sugar garlic and ginger from the first part of the list.  Mix in half the jalapeno and the eggs until the mixture is fully Incorporated and sticky.

2. Combine all the ingredients from the second half of the list in to a large sauce pan (I put it all in the crock pot and went to watch a movie).  Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until the melon is very tender and can squish with a fork.  Meanwhile, form teaspoon sized meatballs with the meat mixture.  Gently drop the meatballs in to the simmering soup and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes more till the meatballs are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment