Thursday, July 25, 2013

It's time to get a little FIGGY!!

I snagged this recipe from Christina's Cucina (http://www.christinascucina.com - thank you by the way since I winged my last two batches).  This morning (and yesterday morning) I ate fresh figs for breakfast.  I have to say, I can't part with my first batch (the Mission figs) but I know that my parent's tree is soon to explode with a bounty of goodies.  Stay tuned as there will be more recipes to come.  I'm gettin' FIGGY with it!

 
So I set out to find a recipe and came across this Drunken Fig Jam recipe from Bon Appétit, and decided I'd make an orange version of it, by replacing the brandy with Grand Marnier. I also swapped half of the lemon zest for orange. I like fig jam on top of brie and crackers, which I will post a recipe for later, but you can use it anyway you like any other type of jam: on bread or toast, in yogurt, with scones, etc. I hope you enjoy my recipe!

(Thank you, Karla! We'll enjoy those figs well into winter now!)

ORANGE FIG JAM
adapted from Drunken Fig Jam
makes about 3 half pint jars

Special equipment: glass jars for the jam

Ingredients

2 lbs ripe, fresh figs (stems removed and cut into 1/2" pieces) about 4 1/2 cups
1 fresh organic orange
1 fresh organic lemon
2 cups sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup (4 oz) Grand Marnier
a pinch of salt

Place the figs in a large pot, then zest the orange and lemon.


Place the orange and lemon zest, sugar, Grand Marnier
and pinch of salt into the pot with the figs.


Stir and let stand at room temperature for one hour, stirring occasionally.
After an hour, put the pot on medium high heat and bring to a boil, 
stirring to dissolve the sugar. 


Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil for approximately half an hour, stirring 
and mashing the figs with a potato masher, to crush the pieces. Remove from heat.


Ladle into rinsed, hot clean jars (rinsed with boiling water), leaving about 1/4" space at the top, clean the rim and cover with hot lids (also rinsed with boiling water). 
Process in water bath for 10 minutes, or keep refrigerated. 


 NOTE: when I make jam, I pour the boiling jam into old jam jars and once the jam cools,
the middle of the lids will "pop" meaning the jars are sealed (the center of the jar will also become concave). If they do not "pop", the jam will definitely spoil if not refrigerated.
The health department would not approve of this method,
so I'm not suggesting you do this,
I'm just passing on what I do in my kitchen, as my family has been using this
old European method for as long as we can remember.

Cut some pretty fabric and cover the lids, tied with a little ribbon for beautiful gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment