Friday, July 12, 2013

Kroštule or Hrštule and preparing for the Reunion

As most any one who has read my blog knows:  I am Croatian and I am in to FOOD.  I especially like homemade food.  I LOVE LOVE local fresh food.  Ah heck....I love to eat!  It is in my Dalmatian DNA (right along with loving ocean air, garlic, grilled seafood, red wine and naps under trees).  We Dalmatians are said to be lazy BUT they have never been around my aunts when they are cooking.  I had as huge treat this past week when I was able to horn in on my aunts making Hrštule (yes....there are other ways to spell it and say it....who cares...every country has these things anyway).

It is a huge process in the sense that there are certain things you MUST do.  For one, that dough can't get dry and it must be paper thin!  My Mom made me keep rolling till I could see the lines on my palm (no joke - my cousin Marcie would attest to this).  Oh...and the oil has to be HOT.  Oh.....and they must be "blonde" not golden because they keep cooking. Oh....and they must be straight strips, not too wide and not too thin.  Yeah....its a BIG BIG DEAL!  

All of this in preparation for the big Ivancovich-Lucich reunion on Saturday.  I personally am making civap (aka "turds") but shaping them like meatballs since my faux-Cro relatives don't get the civap thing.  I am saddened by the fact I didn't order the peppers on time....my Kum will not be happy with out those.  Sorry Uncle Paul!

A few years back, my brave sister Stephanie and I did a cookbook with all the family recipes.  I was going to print the Hrštule recipe of my Moms but opted to use a blogged recipe.....so I don't give away the family secret (but I think the secret is LOVE...it was in ever batch since my Baba first made them).

More good recipes, photos and eats to follow after the raucous festivities this weekend.  Thanks to my Aunt Linda for taking the helm on this years reunion!  You brave soul!

Dobar Tek!
Ingredients
2 eggs
3 tablespoons schnapps, fruit brandy or liquer (kirsch, limoncello etc.)
2 tablespoons dark rum
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
pinch of salt
400g (3 cups) all purpose flour
vegetable oil for frying
icing sugar for dusting
Directions
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, schnapps, rum, butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, lemon zest and salt. Start adding flour gradually while mixing with a wooden spoon. Continue adding flour until you get a firm dough that doesn't stick to your fingers. It should be the consistency of pasta dough. You may not need to use all the flour, or you might need to add some more, depending on the size of the eggs and the quality of the flour. Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes on a lightly floured surface, flatten into a disc and wrap in plastic. Let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
Divide the dough in half and roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface to 2mm thick. You can use pasta machine, if you like. Cut with a pasta wheel into 2cm x 20cm strips, tie into loose knots and set aside on a tray dusted with flour.
Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Deep-fry kroštule in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and puffed (2-3 minutes), then drain on kitchen paper. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold. Store in an airtight container.




No comments:

Post a Comment