Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cinco De Mayo, with a twist (Week 19)

Cinco de Mayo....one of those holidays when everyone switches nationalities for at least a day (see also "St. Patrick's Day")  I think it must be an American thing.....or perhaps an excuse to party...or an excuse to double the number of DUI check points!

I opted for a much tamer experience (well I had to since I was out on Friday with 400+ others uncorking wine at Ap Cal! Good Job ladies.  As a Fresno State employee, I see tons of those marketing projects and that one was especially creative!) .  So on to Cinco de Mayo.....

This Cinco De Mayo we did a bit of entertaining and here is the menu:

Pheasant Enchiladas (recipe below)
Chili Rellenos (from Toledo's)
Spanish Rice (with toasted almonds, from my parents orchard)
Caesar Salad (with fresh shaved Parmesan cheese, peppitas, white cord tortilla chips)
Grilled Asparagus and red peppers (topped with Fresno State olive oil, sea salt and red pepper flakes)

As you may recall from a prior post, we had a this UBER expensive hunting trip that netted only a few birds.  My sweet husband is an angel and cleans the birds exactly to my specifications.  This means that I have cleaned and bagged, boneless, skinless pheasant breasts in the freezer.

Pheasant Enchiladas
  • 4 pheasant breasts
  • 1 large white onion, chopped
  • 2 Anaheim chili peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 4 Tbsp taco seasoning
  • 12 yellow corn tortillas
  • 1/2 c. fresh salsa
  • 1 large can of red enchilada sauce
  • 3 cups of shredded cheddar
  • vegetable oil


Rinse the pheasant and toss with the taco seasoning.  Let sit for at least an hour.  Cut pheasant in to small bite size chunks.  In a frying pan, heat a little bit of oil and saute half of the onions and all of the peppers.  Add the pheasant and cook till lightly brown.  Add in the salsa and a tablespoon or so of the enchilada sauce.  In a sauce pan warm the enchilada sauce.  In a new frying pan, add more oil and fry up the tortillas till soft and pliable.  Ladle a little sauce in to a greased 9x13.  Preheat the oven to 350.With the short end in front of you, take one Torricelli, dip in the sauce then  add a layer of the pheasant mixture, sprinkle on onions and a layer of cheese.  Roll up and repeat.  Once the pan is full, take any remaining meat and spoon over the top.  Cover with sauce then cheese.  Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
If you are really lucky, you have two wonderful friends (thanks ladies!!) who bookend the meal with a Sun-dried  Tomato Jam crostini and Margarita Cupcakes

Sorry ....no pictures.  We ate it all before I could take a picture. 

Oh yes.....speaking of Cinco de Mayo and margaritas.....  I purchased a bag of those tiny-tiny limes and nearly drove myself nuts trying to juice them in to my fresh agave nectar margaritas.  I came up with a great use for my garlic press.  Ole'


No comments:

Post a Comment