Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ole' Corn and Zucchini Saute (Week 22)

This week, my basket from Mizuno Farms contained a couple of fabulous zucchini and I just picked up some fresh corn from a local market.  I was SET for the Corn Zucchini Saute!  My Mom was given the recipe from my Teta Bunny (Aunt Frances)...Teta Bunny is the keeper of most of the really good family recipes.  She is also probably the only one who subscribes to all the latest and greatest food magazines AND cooks every day....even at 82!  Granted, my Mom tells me that when her son isn't around for the "taste test", she tries out new creations on her Jack Russel Terrier (named Jack .....but my Dad calls him Jacka**).  I am about 90% sure this is from Epicurious!  This is a fun and fresh way to prepare your corn.  
Corn and Zucchini Saute

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
  • 2 cups corn (from about 4 ears)
  • 2 medium zucchini (1 lb total), quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

  • Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallions, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add corn, zucchini, cayenne, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.

    On the subject of corn.....I know everyone has their own way of corn on the BBQ.  Mine is nothing unique but my Mom was just introduced to it and GASP ....without foil!  Remove the silk and the husks.  Grab a cold cube of butter and rub it generously over the corn. Sprinkle with sea salt, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika.  Grill till evenly golden brown.  Do not let burn.  For an extra treat, sprinkle on a little crumbled Mexican cheese!!  Ole!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment