Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Nectarine Mint Salsa (Week 21)

I had a hard time moving away from just fresh sliced peaches.  Typically when I get my first basket, I want to roll around in all these peaches and nectarines.  I had nearly one with every meal so far (plus a few for snacks).

Stone fruit is such a big deal in our house that my dog (Bissou) actually does this "sad dog" face when he sees me eating them.  If I break down and give him a slice, he does the "happy dog" dance and won't leave me alone!

(Smiling face to the left....he sulks away when he's doing the "sad dog" face).

Today I am back to one of my seasonal favorites - with a twist

Nectarine Mint Salsa
  • 3 to 4 firm white nectarines, chopped
  • 2 to 3 tbsp. of finely chopped green onions
  • 1 large jalapeno seeded and chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
  • Juice of 3 limes
  • 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp. sugar (you can use 1/2 tsp of stevia)
Add fruit, onions, jalapeno, mint, juice, sugar and ginger in the food processor.  Pulse 2 or 3 times but don't kill it and make it a paste.  Should be small easy to eat pieces.Place in a bowl and cover for an hour or so to let the flavors meld.  Totally delicious and healthy.  Excellent on fish or chicken tacos or grilled salmon.  Here (below) is my BBQ'd quesadillas with smoked Bravo Farms cheese (plated with a little salsa.)    Thanks Genny and Jim for the tasty cheese!!  By the way......the original recipe called for 2 to 3 jalapenos.  OMG....no way!  One big fat one was MORE than enough to light me on fire...whew!


No comments:

Post a Comment